‘If you want to go faster, go alone. If you want to go further, go together.’
~ African Proverb
Assets Based Community Development (ABCD) is about discovering and mapping local assets, connecting these assets to work together, and creating opportunities for these assets to be productive and powerful together.
Beliefs of ABCD
- Change begins with fresh eyes
- Meaningful and lasting community change always originates from within, and local residents in that community are the best experts on how to activate that change
- Community residents act responsibly when they care, and support what they create.
- Building and nourishing relationships is at the core of building healthy and inclusive communities.
- Communities have never been built by dwelling on their deficiencies, but by focusing on their assets, capacities, strengths…..and every community has far more resources and assets than any one person knows
- The strength of a community is directly proportional to the level that the diversity of its residents desire, and are able to contribute their abilities and assets to the well being of their community
- In every community something works. Instead of asking ‘What’s wrong, and how to fix it’, ask, ‘What’s worked, and how do we get more of it?’ It generates hope, energy and creativity
- Creating positive change begins simply with conversation
- The starting point for change is always mindset and positive attitudes
Assets Based Community Development Tools
For lots more, check out the Bank of Ideas.
Assets Based Community Development