The Big Carrot is in search of a Food Service Manager to take their organic deli and bakery to the next level. They hope to find a dynamic, passionate candidate for this new position. Naturally, this position is at the store in Toronto's east end.
Department: Foodservice (Kitchen/Bakery/Deli)
Title: Food Service Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Report to: Operations Manager
Post Date: Thursday, July 3, 2014
Close Date: Open until filled
To successfully lead, operate and grow out the prepared foods department, and to meet sales, margin and other goals with a commitment to excellence and continuous incremental improvement.
- Recent foodservice experience;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Staff development skills and a love for teaching and mentoring staff;
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments;
- Time management skills sufficient to balance multiple priorities;
- Proven experience in merchandising and customer service
- Experience with systems for purchasing, inventory, revenue and systems analysis;
- Office and computer skills with common programs including Excel, Word, email etc.
- Ability to lift > 25 lbs to transport product.
Production & Customer Service
- Select, prepare, and supervise foodservice staff in preparing selections to provide both variety and consistency.
- Research and develop new recipes that honor our store's commitment to organic, Non-GMO and largely vegetarian whole foods.
- Price dishes to achieve margin goals, to ensure proper production volumes, and to minimize waste and out-of-stocks.
- Ensure prompt, friendly, courteous customer service.
- Regularly track and report customer suggestions, comments and complaints to staff and supervisors.
- Create and maintain kitchen procedures and systems.
- Plan attractive displays with uniform signage, ensure displays are fully stocked and rotated to ensure freshness.
- Visit and network with other sector specific and conventional food delis for product, merchandising and marketing ideas.
- Ensure accurate, up-to-date labeling to foodservice items.
- Provide product information for customers and staff.
- Provide input to the Advertising and Marketing Team for planning, promotions, cross-merchandising and advertising.
Purchasing & Financials:
- Negotiate with suppliers for favourable pricing, terms, quality, delivery of foodservice items.
- Evaluate suppliers and investigate new sources of supply.
- Receive orders, or ensure proper receiving by foodservice staff.
- Coordinate returns and credit from suppliers where applicable.
- Ensure accurate up-to-date records of cost of preparing foodservice items.
- Review and approve invoices for accuracy, break into inventory categories, and pass on to accounts recievable.
- Use efficient systems and tools for proper production planning, accurate inventory counts, intra-department product transfers, etc.
- Participate in setting sales and margin goals for the department.
- Review department financials reports, (sales, labour, margin, turns) and take corrective action as needed.
Leadership & Personnel
- Hire qualified applicants following established Big Carrot policy.
- Ensure on-the-job training and develop a culture of ongoing staff development.
- Conduct performance evaluations.
- Recommend pay increases within department budget.
- Take disciplinary action as needed following established policy.
- Schedule hours of foodservice department within payroll, budget, and review employee timecards.
- Hold regularly scheduled department meetings to ensure full and effective communications.
- Lead by example; professional and
- Delegate key responsibilities to other experienced staff so that you can focus on what you're best.
- Develop strong leadership team partners.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Operations Manager
- Upholds The Big Carrot's principles, Mission code of conduct at all times.
- Attend management meetings.
- Completion of a college or other program related to hospitality or food and beverage service management is usually required.
- Several years of experience in the food service sector, including supervisory experience, are required.
- Flexibility of long hours with some work during non traditional working hours encompassing both evenings and weekends.
- Indoor climate controlled environment with some exposure to both hot and cold conditions.
- Long periods of standing and walking. Walking, sitting and standing are required daily to perform the total duties of the job.
- Dexterity and energetic enough to fill in for any position in the department in a moments notice.
- Concentration required for short and long periods of time and ability to turn ones attention from one matter to another as required.
- Work flow requires preparing reports for Operations Manager meetings, speaking with Human Resources, Marketing and Advertising and standards.
Please send applications to Scott Russell, Human Resource email: email@example.com